A simple, fun-to-eat snack that is rich in soy protein, edamame can be bought frozen and quickly defrosted whenever hunger strikes.
Whipped cottage cheese works well as a protein-rich spread, while the dried apricots offer a hint of sweetness.
- 4 tablespoons (¼ cup) low-fat whipped cottage cheese = 45 calories, 7.5g protein, 0.5g fat, 0g fiber, 2g sugar
- 2 multigrain Wasa crackers = 90 calories, 4g protein, 0g fat, 4g fiber, 0g sugar
- 6 dried apricot halves = 51 calories, 0.7g protein, 0.1g fat, 1.5g fiber, 11.2g sugar
- Total: 186 calories, 12.2g protein, 0.6g fat, 5.5 g fiber, 13.2g sugar
Hummus with sugar snap peas
Any veggie pairs well with hummus, but sugar snap peas are a crunchy treat when they're in season.
- 4 tablespoons hummus = 140 calories, 4g protein, 10g fat, 4g fiber, 0g sugar
- 1 cup sugar snap peas = 35 calories, 2g protein, 0g fat, 2g fiber, 3g sugar
- Total: 175 calories, 6g protein, 10g fat, 6g fiber, 3g sugar
Spinach and blueberry smoothie
Blend these ingredients for a delicious protein- and fiber-rich smoothie.
- ¼ cup plain non-fat Greek yogurt = 36 calories, 6g protein, 0g fat, 0g fiber, 2g sugar
- ½ cup non-fat milk = 42 calories, 4g protein, 0g fat, 0g fiber, 6g sugar
- ½ medium banana = 53 calories, 0.6g protein, 0.2g fat, 1.5g fiber, 7g sugar
- ½ cup blueberries = 42 calories, 0.6g protein, 0.2g fat, 2g fiber, 7g sugar
- 1 cup fresh spinach = 7 calories, 0.86g protein, 0.1g fat, 0.7g fiber, 0.1g sugar
- Total: 180 calories, 12.6g protein, 0.5g fat, 4.2g fiber, 22g sugar
And there are also snacks under 200 calories that may sound good but are actually disappointing. Try to avoid these snack fails.
Half of a double chocolate cupcake
Just half of a chocolate cupcake delivers over 4 teaspoons of sugar.
A third of a bagel with cream cheese
A bagel with cream cheese has close to 450 calories. Share it with two friends to stay within your snack calorie budget.
- One large bagel = 337 calories, 2g fat, 7g of sugar
- 2 tablespoon of cream cheese = 102 calories, 10g fat, 1g sugar
- Total for a third: 146 calories, 4g fat, 3g sugar
Four tablespoons (¼ cup) of Ben and Jerry's Out of this Swirled Ice Cream
Eat only four spoons of this ice cream to stay under 200 calories. That small scoop will also deliver a quarter of your daily saturated fat limit and over 3 teaspoons of sugar.
- ¼ cup (four tablespoons) of this Out of this Swirled = 155 calories, 5g saturated fat, 14g sugar
One ounce of frozen hot chocolate
A few long sips of this drinkable chocolate delivers 8 teaspoons of sugar -- your daily limit.